2022 Project MFG SEC Machining Competition
Powered by ACE
TN MADE, 2030 Valley Vista Rd., Knoxville, TN
The purpose of this competition is to convene SEC university teams to promote advanced manufacturing education and training, learn more about CNC machining, and demonstrate each team’s capabilities. For the 2022 event, the SEC logo was divided digitally into four sections and each university team machined that section from a 12″ x 12″ x 2″ 6061-T6 aluminum plate. The machined sections were then assembled with mating features to complete the SEC logo. The winner was selected based on time, cost, and accuracy. The inaugural event participants were:
- Auburn University
- Mississippi State University
- Texas A&M University
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville (2022 champion).
The event was a partnership between the DoD Industrial Base Analysis and Sustainment (IBAS) program, Project MFG, America’s Cutting Edge (ACE), the Southeastern Advanced Machine Tools Network (SEAMTN, “see mountain”), the ORNL Manufacturing Demonstration Facility, UT-Oak Ridge Innovation Institute, the four SEC universities, MSC Industrial Supply (cutting tools), ZEISS (part measurement), and Haas (CNC milling machines).
- Team breakfast provided by Phillips Corp.
- Teams 1 and 2 set up at Haas VF-4SS three-axis CNC machining centers
- Teams 1 and 2 begin competition
- Teams 1 and 2 conclude (time recorded for each)
- Team lunch provided by Actalent
- Teams 3 and 4 set up at machines
- Teams 3 and 4 begin competition, part measurements begin for Teams 1 and 2 using ZEISS DuraMax
- Teams 3 and 4 conclude (time recorded for each), part measurements begin for Teams 3 and 4, scoring rubrics completed by judges
- SEC logo assembled, awards ceremony